Now how many hats are you wearing?
Stress tips for Parenting during COVID:
Prior to COVID you were crazy busy, but now?… What do you call this new phase? You work from home, discipline the dog, coerce your kids into silence and manage online learning with your kids! Oh yeah, it’s time to start dinner!
As many parents continue to home school, the fear of adding camp counselor to your list of positions instills panic.
Mom. Dad. You are are physically and emotionally exhausted! Add to that the feeling of being ineffective in multiple realms of your lives. You are in need of revitalization.
5 Stress tips for Parenting during COVID:
- Prioritize your top goals – Not all chores and responsibilities carry the same weight. List out the major stressors and situations that drain your energy so you can be mindful of what is bombarding you. Brainstorm solutions to these big energy drains in advance, before you spin out of control.
- Disconnect – Rarely is social media helpful. Stop scrolling, comparing and shopping and build in more mindfulness measures.
- Ask for help and delegate – Some people truly want to help you. Don’t refuse their help. Even if they are far, setting up a Zoom call with your adult relatives in which they can do an activity or play a game will give you time back in the day. Chores build life skills, so enlist your kids in meal prep, vacuuming, dusting, pet care. Let your child see you accept help, it’s a part of learning and growing. Children need to see their parents asking for help when needed.
- Chunk your life – Consider coordinating with your partner and children to review and revamp the current schedule in order to “chunk” more time for work, home schooling. and parenting.
- Stop the stress – Your brain is ancient, and when it perceives a threat or high levels of stress, your body and brain go into fight, flight, or freeze mode. Develop everyday strategies to prevent stressors to override your thinking brain. Keep your thinking brain in charge to avoid this runaway reaction cycle. The more you intervene with a strategy when your reaction starts, the better you can interrupt the fight, flight, or freeze modes.
Social Skills Deeper Dive
More actionable advice, exercises and videos can be found in the Store
How to Coach Your Child – Kids need good role models. Skills like listening and communication are critical. This exclusive program for parents teaches how to coach your kids for life.
Adults with ADHD Social Skills Training: How to Get Along with Everyone – 2-Part Seminar with Caroline Maguire – Starting December 7, 2021
Rusty Social Skills Bundle – Everything you need to help students return to the classroom for the development of critical social skills.
Coaching Conversations Video Course – How to use the lessons in Why Will No One Play with Me? in everyday life using real people and real scenarios
From “Hi” to a Full Conversation – How to adapt conversation starters to initiate small talk.
Joining a group Infographic – Make joining a group less intimidating – and more fun!
Building a Conversation Infographic – Learn how to engage in reciprocal give-and-take
Steps for Joining a Group Video – Step by step details to comfortably and successfully join a group
How to Read the Room as an Adult – Managing perceptions and engaging successfully